January 10, 2017
Last month, Superintendent Jack Smith proposed a $2.52 billion Operating Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 to the Board of Education. MCPS wants to hear your thoughts and ideas on the budget. The district has created resources to help staff, parents, students and community members understand the budget and advocate for its funding. These resources can be found on the MCPS budget webpage.
Be sure to share your ideas and views on the importance of funding the MCPS operating budget with our elected Montgomery County officials—the Montgomery County Board of Education, the County Executive, and the Montgomery County Council—through emails, letters, and testimonials. The Board of Education will hold its second public hearing on the Wednesday, Jan. 11. The hearing will be held at 7 p.m. in the auditorium of the Carver Educational Services Center.
Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett will be holding forums this month to seek input from residents about the county’s FY 2018 budget priorities. The three remaining forums are scheduled for January 18, 25 and 30 at locations across Montgomery County.
Five Education Budget Meetings presented by Montgomery County Councilmember Craig Rice, Superintendent Jack Smith and Montgomery College President DeRionne Pollard, are scheduled for February and March. Find out how budget decisions are made, what the county is doing today to get ready for FY 2018 and beyond, and the opportunities residents have to influence budget decisions. The meetings will take place from 6:30–8 p.m. at the following locations:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, Northwest High School, 13501 Richter Farm Road, Germantown
- Wednesday, March 8, Montgomery Blair High School, 51 University Blvd. E., Silver Spring
- Wednesday, March 15, Montgomery College (Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus), Catherine F. Scott Building Room 211, 7600 Takoma Avenue, Takoma Park
- Wednesday, March 22, Walter Johnson High School, 6400 Rock Spring Dr., Bethesda
- Wednesday, March 29, Richard Montgomery High School, 250 Richard Montgomery Dr., Rockville
The County Executive will announce his Recommended FY 2018 Operating Budget on March 15. In April, the County Council will hold public hearings and approve the operating budget at the end of May.