March 8, 2017
On March 1, the Board of Education sent its $2.52 billion Fiscal Year 2018 Operating Budget request to Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett and the Montgomery County Council. The county executive is expected to release his FY 2018 operating budget recommendation by March 15. The County Council will consider the budget this spring, with final approval happening in late May.
It is critical that our elected leaders hear from you about the essential role school plays in your child’s life and the importance of giving students access to the opportunities and resources they need to be college- and career-ready.
Four more Education Budget Meetings, presented by Montgomery County Councilmember Craig Rice, Superintendent Jack Smith, and Montgomery College President DeRionne Pollard, are scheduled for March. Attendees can find out how budget decisions are made, what the county is doing today to get ready for FY 2018 and beyond, and the opportunities residents have to influence budget decisions. The meetings will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the following locations:
- March 8, Montgomery Blair High School, 51 University Boulevard East, Silver Spring
- March 15, Montgomery College (Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus), Catherine F. Scott Building, Room 211, 7600 Takoma Avenue, Takoma Park
- March 22, Walter Johnson High School, 6400 Rock Spring Drive, Bethesda
- March 29, Richard Montgomery High School, 250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville
In addition, members of the MCPS community are encouraged to testify at the Montgomery County Council public hearings on the budget. They will be held in the County Council Room, 100 Maryland Avenue in Rockville on—
- Tuesday, April 4, at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 5, at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Thursday, April 6, at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.