MCPS Professional Library Partnership Ends
The MCPS Professional Library, which had been available to employees through a partnership with the Universities at Shady Grove (USG), has closed. The closure was effective July 1, 2015.
The partnership was dissolved because of the increasing amount of information available in a digital format offered by a variety of community sources.
However, MCPS is committed to supporting the professional growth of its staff members. For more information on resources regarding professional, academic and personal information needs, staff can visit this website and click on “Professional Resources.”
While the Professional Library physical space is no longer available, employees will continue to be able to use a borrower’s card to check out books from the USG Priddy Library and the University of Maryland (UMD) Libraries at College Park, through June 2016. Employees will also be able to visit the USG Priddy Library to access databases and e-journals that are available onsite for guest use. USG created a MCPS Patron Library Guide which contains information about library services still available to MCPS staff.
The following services will be discontinued:
- The pony service between MCPS and USG. All books borrowed from the libraries by MCPS employees will need to be picked up and returned to the Priddy Library or UMD, College Park libraries.
- Remote access to professional library subscription databases and e-journals
- The MCPS Professional Library blog and Twitter account
In addition to the remaining USG services, the following community resources also are available:
- The Montgomery County Public Library can assist in locating resources with a library card. Patrons can access up to 90 online subscription resources, e-books and e-journals.
- The Maryland State Library Resources Center provides cooperative, cost-effective resources and services. The Information Services Department provides customers with immediate and reliable answers to a variety of questions from customers and other library staff.
- AskUsNow! is a statewide interactive information service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and uses the expertise of librarians to provide answers to questions, guidance for research, and help navigating the internet. This service is available for any Maryland resident or student.
- School-based staff members should also feel free to contact the library media specialist at their school, who can assist in locating resources for them.
- MCPS staff members enrolled in post-secondary coursework, certification or degree programs can access their institution’s online resources. Consult the university or college library for more information.