Online Employee Benefits Open Enrollment Will Be Here Soon
Open Enrollment for MCPS employee benefits will be held online from Monday, Oct. 10–Friday, Nov. 4, 2016, with changes effective January 1, 2017. Open Enrollment is your chance to review your health plan options and make any necessary changes. It also is your chance to make your 2016 tobacco-use attestation(s) for you and your spouse.
What to Expect
- If you are a benefits-eligible employee, you will receive Open Enrollment information and instructions in your MCPS Outlook email account on Friday, Oct. 7. The email will include a link to the Employee Self-Service (ESS) web page for accessing the online Benefits Enrollment System and making your tobacco-use attestation, the 2017 Employee Benefit Summary, the Open Enrollment memorandum, and more.
- Enrolling in or making changes to your benefits and/or enrolling in a flexible spending account for 2017 will be conducted entirely online again this year.
- Tobacco-use attestations also will be made online.
- You will be able to view and print confirmation of your benefit changes from the Benefits Enrollment System. You also will receive confirmation in your MCPS Outlook email account.
- Details regarding Open Enrollment and 2017 MCPS employee benefits will be available on the Open Enrollment web page beginning Friday, Oct. 7.
Highlights for 2017
If you will be covered by a CareFirst, Cigna or Kaiser Permanente medical plan in 2017, during Open Enrollment you must attest to whether or not you—and your spouse—will be tobacco-free throughout 2016. This is true even if you will not be making changes to your benefits. If you do not attest for you and your spouse, or if you attest to one or both of you NOT being tobacco-free throughout 2016, you will pay a 3 percent surcharge on the total cost of your health insurance in 2017.
Your 2017 benefit rates will be based on the benefit plan(s) you elect and, as a result of the Wellness Initiatives program, on whether or not:
- You complete a biometric health screening between October 12, 2015, and October 7, 2016;
- You complete your medical plan’s online health risk assessment between October 12, 2015, and October 7, 2016;
- You and/or your spouse use tobacco in 2016; and
- You make your and your spouse’s tobacco-use attestation during the fall 2016 Open Enrollment.
Be Prepared for Open Enrollment
Take these steps to make sure you are ready for this year’s Employee Benefits Open Enrollment.
- Make sure you can access your MCPS Outlook email account. Need help? Visit myID or contact the MCPS Help Desk.
- Check your MCPS employee Outlook email on October 7, for Open Enrollment information and instructions from the Employee and Retiree Service Center (ERSC).
- Stay in touch with ERSC for Open Enrollment news. Follow us on Twitter and visit us online.
Reminder: Next Payday for All Employees is October 14
The regular biweekly pay period schedule will resume on October 14. September 30 will not be a payday.
Employees who reported hours worked between August 6 and August 19 were paid on September 2. Those reporting hours worked between August 20 and September 2 were paid a week early—on September 9—and those who reported hours worked between September 3 and September 16 also were paid a week early—on September 23. These accelerated pay dates enabled 9- and 10-month employees to receive their first paychecks of the school year sooner.
Please remember this and plan ahead for the return to the regular pay schedule.