Superintendent Sets Fall Schedule of Community Day Events, Student Town Halls
Superintendent of Schools Joshua Starr will hold four Community Days this school year to visit schools, meet with staff and answer questions from parents and community members. Each Community Day will begin with a drop-in coffee for staff and culminate with a Town Hall event in the evening, where the public can ask questions and share thoughts and ideas.
The first Community Day is set for Monday, Oct. 14, and includes schools in the Clarksburg, Poolesville, Damascus, Gaithersburg, Seneca Valley, Watkins Mill, Northwest and Quince Orchard clusters. The Town Hall meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. at Clarksburg High School in Clarksburg.
Free childcare and interpretation services will be available at the Town Hall meetings. For more information, visit the Superintendent’s page or call 301-279-3100.
The dates and Town Hall locations for the three other Community Days are:
– Thursday, Nov. 21: Downcounty Consortium—Montgomery Blair, Albert Einstein, John F. Kennedy, Northwood and Wheaton clusters; Town Hall at Montgomery Blair High School
– Monday, Feb. 3, 2014: Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Winston Churchill, Richard Montgomery, Rockville, Walter Johnson, Walt Whitman and Thomas S. Wootton clusters; Town Hall at Winston Churchill High School
– Monday, April 28, 2014: James Hubert Blake, Paint Branch and Springbrook (Northeast Consortium), Col. Zadok Magruder and Sherwood clusters; Town Hall at Paint Branch High School
Student Town Halls
Dr. Starr also will hold six Student Town Hall meetings—three in high schools and three in middle schools. The first Town Hall will be held on Thursday, October 17, at Poolesville High School. These events will be hosted Justin Kim, the Student Member of the Board of Education. They will be archived on the MCPS website and shown on MCPS TV.
The dates and locations of the remaining Student Town Halls are:
– Monday, Nov. 25, A. Mario Loiederman Middle School
– Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014, Northwood High School
– Thursday, Feb. 27, Rosa Parks Middle School
– Tuesday, March 18, Watkins Mill High School
– Thursday, April 24, Herbert Hoover Middle School
Students throughout the district can submit a question for the superintendent in advance by sending an email to email@example.com or by posting a question to Twitter with the hashtag #studenttownhall.
For more information, visit the Superintendent’s web page.