Board of Education Approves $2.92 Billion Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2023
On June 7, the Montgomery County Board of Education adopted a $2.92 billion Operating Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2023. This is an increase of $137.9 million (5 percent) from the current FY 2022 budget. The budget will allow MCPS to provide a continuation of key services, provide critical support to students for mental health and well-being and cover pandemic increases on operating costs.
The budget focuses on three priority areas for the school system:
- Academic Excellence
- Well-being and Family Engagement
- Professional and Operational Excellence
The operating budget also continues the interim superintendent’s students first approach and is centered on MCPS’ core purpose of preparing all students to thrive in their futures.
Important key investments in the FY 2023 Operating Budget include:
- Full-time staff development teacher in every school
- Full-time reading specialist teacher in every elementary school
- Critical staffing in support of new schools and additional school space
- Welcoming newcomer students to MCPS
- Expanding early childhood learning opportunities
- Strengthening career pathways for employees
- Increased employee salaries