Board of Education to Vote on Final Recovery Plan August 25
The Montgomery County Board of Education will meet on Tuesday, August 25, to review and take final action on the MCPS recovery plan. The meeting will begin at noon and will be streamed live on the MCPS website and on MCPS TV (Comcast Channel 34, Verizon FIOS Channel 36, RCN Channel 89).
We have received feedback from thousands of students, staff, parents and community members. We have used this feedback to begin making adjustments and enhancements to our plan to better meet the needs of the community. These updates include:
- At the secondary level, a schedule adjustment on Wednesdays from 20-minute class periods to virtual check-in times. This will allow for more individualized student support.
- A greater emphasis on flexibility for students in our primary grades through recorded lessons and more.
- An extension of lunch in the secondary schedule from 60 minutes to 75 minutes to allow additional time for students to get to the meal sites. We have also extended the elementary lunch from 75 to 90 minutes.
- Additional planning time for teachers at the secondary level to increase preparation for virtual instruction. We are also providing greater flexibility and prioritizing teacher planning and collaboration time on Wednesday afternoons at the elementary and secondary levels.
- A shift in Montgomery College courses to begin before 9 a.m. and after 2:30 p.m. to avoid conflict with high school instructional periods (please note that this only refers to dual-enrollment courses scheduled at the local high school, to avoid conflict with high school instructional periods).
- A shift from an even/odd bell schedule to sequential for high schools and a choice between even/odd and sequential for middle schools.