Board Seeking Comment on Two Policies
The Montgomery County Board of Education is proposing amendments to Board Policy ACF, Sexual Harassment, and to new draft Board Policy ACI, Sexual Harassment of Employees. The Board is seeking public comments on the amended policies until Monday, May 17, 2021.
Highlights of the Board’s proposed amendments include the following topics:
- Policy ACF, Sexual Harassment, has been retitled “Sexual Misconduct and Sexual Harassment of Students” and amended to focus on sexual misconduct among students and sexual harassment of students.
- New draft Policy ACI, Sexual Harassment of Employees, has been created to address sexual harassment of employees (see highlights below).
- As of last summer, all K-12 education institutions, as well as postsecondary institutions, receiving federal education funds are required to comply with new federal Title IX regulations. These federal regulations define sexual harassment and set forth procedures that must be followed for reporting, investigating and remedying allegations of sexual harassment. These are now reflected in the Board’s amended Policy ACF.
- The amended Board policy also defines sexual misconduct among students and how allegations of sexual misconduct among students may be reported, investigated and remedied.
- New draft Policy ACI, Sexual Harassment of Employees, clarifies two types of federal law that apply to employees: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, amended in 1972 and 1991; and Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, which can apply to employees in some instances.
- New draft Policy ACI sets forth procedures for reporting, investigating and remedying allegations of sexual harassment of employees.
Public comments on amended Policy ACF, retitled as Sexual Misconduct and Sexual Harassment of Students, may be submitted here.
Public comments on new draft Policy ACI, Sexual Harassment of Employees, may be submitted here.