The Checklist: Getting Ready for the 2017-2018 School Year
Parents, it’s the start of a new school year! Here is a checklist of things to help make sure you are equipped with the information you need to have a successful year:
- Complete your child’s Student Emergency Information Form so you’re contacted about school closings, illnesses and important updates. Be sure to let the school know if your information changes during the school year.
- Sign up for the myMCPS parent portal! MyMCPS is a web-based system that allows parents of middle and high school students to monitor their child’s grades and assignments. Elementary school parents will be able to sign up for the portal in October. Elementary and secondary parents can also stay connected by downloading the new myMCPS app. The app is free and is available on the iPhone App store and Google Play.
- View, print or download the 2017-2018 calendar and stay informed on important dates and events. The interactive calendar tool allows users to build their own calendar so that they can see information that is important to them.
- Get your child’s bus route information. Parents who have questions about bus routes can find answers here.
- Remember to use MySchoolBucks to add school meal money to your child’s account. This will eliminate the need for your child to have to bring money to school every day. School cafeterias also accept cash or check prepayment.
- If you have a seventh and/or eighth grade student, ensure that they receive their Tdap and MCV4 vaccinations prior to the start of the school year. Students not in compliance with Maryland vaccination requirements will be excluded from attending school until they provide documentation.
- Learn more about school rules and regulations.
- Plan to attend Back-to-School Night at your child’s school.
- Stay connected with MCPS throughout the school year. Follow us on Twitter (@mcps), subscribe to AlertMCPS, watch MCPS TV, and sign up for the myMCPS parent portal.