County to Host Free Flu Clinics in October and November
The 2019 flu season is upon us. There are simple steps you and your child can take to stay healthy and help prevent the flu. That includes getting a yearly flu vaccine.
The Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services will conduct free injectable flu vaccine clinics on Nov. 12 from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. for children 18 and under at John F. Kennedy, Northwest and Rockville high schools. These clinics will be open to any school-aged child.
The clinics are free, but registration is required due to limited vaccine supplies. For more information, visit the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services website.
Here are some additional steps that you and your family can take to help prevent the spread of the flu and other seasonal illnesses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. MCPS-approved hand sanitizer dispensers are available for use at various locations throughout schools (e.g., near the cafeteria or all-purpose room, near the main office).
- When coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with your sleeve or a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to minimize the chance for infection.
- Stay home from work and school if symptoms develop such as fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, headache and body aches.
- If you have concerns about the health of your child, please contact your physician immediately or, in an emergency, dial 911.
Additional flu clinics for all county residents will be held on October 21 from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. and on November 18 from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. Both clinics will be held at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville. Appointments are required. For more information and to make an appointment visit this website. Additional flu prevention information can be found at the following websites:
Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm
Montgomery County http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/resident/flu.html