The Checklist: Getting Ready for the 2019-2020 School Year
Parents, it’s the start of a new school year! Here is a checklist of things to help make sure you are equipped with the information you need to have a successful year:
- Sign up for the myMCPS parent portal! myMCPS is a web-based system that allows parents of students to monitor their child’s grades and assignments. Elementary and secondary parents can also stay connected by downloading the myMCPS app. The app is free and is available on iTunes and Google Play.
- Complete your child’s Student Emergency Information Form on the myMCPS portal or at their home school so you’re contacted about school closings, illnesses and important updates. Be sure to let the school know if your information changes during the school year.
- If you plan on volunteering at your child’s school, complete the Child Abuse and Neglect training modules for volunteers.
- View, print or download the 2019-2020 calendar and stay informed on important dates and events. The calendar is interactive and allows you to build your own calendar, so you can see what is most important to you.
- Get your child’s bus route information. Parents who have questions about bus routes can find answers here.
- Remember to use MySchoolBucks to add school meal money to your child’s account. This will eliminate the need for your child to bring money to school every day. School cafeterias also accept cash or check prepayment.
- If you have a child in grades 7–11, ensure that they receive their Tdap and MCV4 vaccinations prior to the start of the school year. Students not in compliance with Maryland vaccination requirements will be excluded from attending school until they provide documentation.
- Learn more about school rules and regulations.
- Plan to attend Back-to-School Night at your child’s school.
- Visit our digital citizenship webpage to learn about ways you can help your child use social media and other digital tools in a responsible, respectful manner.
- Learn about the Parent Academy and consider participating in a free workshop.
- Learn about the new BeWell 365 Initiative, which will address the physical, social and psychological well-being of our students.
- Stay connected with MCPS throughout the school year. Follow us on Twitter (@mcps) and Facebook (/mcpsmd), subscribe to our YouTube channel (/MCPSTV), subscribe to AlertMCPS, watch MCPS TV, and sign up for the myMCPS parent portal.