Interim Superintendent Releases Recommended Fiscal Year 2023 Operating Budget
Interim Superintendent Dr. Monifa B. McKnight has recommended a $2.931 billion Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2023, allowing the district to deepen its focus on addressing disruptions to learning that have resulted from the pandemic and promoting student well-being, while also making strategic investments to support staff development, expand early childhood programs, support newly arriving students, and prepare all students for their futures.
Dr. McKnight’s budget recommendation, released on Dec. 16, 2021, represents a total $148.7 million increase—about 5.3 percent—over the current budget (FY 2022). Of the total recommended increase, $131.3 million will be funded through an increase above the minimum level required by the state’s Maintenance of Effort (MOE) law.
Important investments recommended in the FY 2023 Operating Budget include:
- A Full-Time Staff Development Teacher in Every School
- Full-Time Reading Specialists in Every Elementary School
- Critical Staffing in Support of New Schools and Additional School Space
- Welcoming Newcomer Students to MCPS
- Expanding Early Childhood Learning Opportunities
- Strengthening Career Pathways for Employees
- Employee Salaries
- Health Care Costs
The full recommended budget is available here.
The timeline for the FY 2023 operating budget is:
- Monday, Jan. 10: Operating budget public hearing
- Tuesday, Jan. 18: Operating budget work session
- Tuesday, Jan. 11: Operating budget work session
- Wednesday, Jan. 19: Operating budget work session
- Tuesday, Jan. 25: Operating budget work session
- February: Tentative adoption of recommended operating budget
- Tuesday, March 15: County Executive to release recommended operating budget
- May: Montgomery County Council approves operating budget
- June: Board of Education to adopt final FY 2023 operating budget
Ask a budget question here.
View the full budget presentation here.