MCPS Considering Safety and Security Changes for Sporting Events
The MCPS Athletics program is considering changes, especially at events expecting large crowds, due to recent reports of altercations and incidences of disrespectful behavior at some contests. To ensure the safety and security of students, staff and community members, these changes may include:
- Increasing the presence of police officers;
- Increasing the number of MCPS security personnel, as well as school and central office administrative staff;
- Enhancing lighting where necessary;
- Possibly limiting the number of attendees, rescheduling events to weekend days, and/or changing event start times;
- Requiring student IDs to attend and requiring elementary and middle school students to be accompanied by a parent or guardian; and
- Potentially closing concession stands.
MCPS and county leadership will review each large event to determine the necessary safety measures and those will be communicated by the school. Ideally, these measures will help to eliminate any future problems at athletic events.
Students can and will face disciplinary action as a result of poor or unsafe behavior at school events, including athletic contests.