New Employees: Don’t Forget to Enroll in the Benefits Plan
New 10-month employees who work at least 20 hours per week may enroll in the Employee Benefit Plan within 60 days of date of hire. Learn more about benefit options on the Employee and Retiree Service Center (ERSC) website. To enroll, submit MCPS Form 455-20: Employee Benefit Plan Enrollment.
Don’t miss your deadline!
- If you enroll by September 18, coverage will begin October 1.
- If you enroll by October 16, coverage will begin November 1.
You also may enroll in or make changes to your benefits each fall during Employee Benefits Open Enrollment, with coverage effective January 1 of the following year. Beginning this fall, Open Enrollment—to be held October 12–November 6, 2015—will be held online. Details and instructions for enrolling online will be available in late September.
ERSC is a one-stop shop for all your employee-related needs. This includes benefits, leave, pay, retirement and the employee wellness program. Be sure to check out the following helpful resources from ERSC:
- ERSC produces ePaystub to keep employees informed of essential information such as the net pay deposited to your bank account, hours worked, deductions and leave balances. You will receive an informative email reminder when your ePaystub is ready. This takes place each Monday before payday unless the Monday falls on a holiday. If it does, you will receive your ePaystub the next day.
- The ERSC website is full of important information for employees and is updated regularly. Check back often for important and timely information and forms.
- PenPoint, an online self-service retirement system for MCPS employees, provides access to your yearly retirement benefit statement and lets you estimate your MCPS core and supplemental retirement benefit amounts based on different scenarios.
- Watch for an email in October announcing the fall issue of For Your Benefit, an online newsletter to keep you informed about essential employee benefits, leave, pay and retirement information.
- Each month, ERSC publishes Well Aware eNews, to bring you articles on health and wellness along with information about upcoming wellness events such as educational webinars and health screenings. In addition to finding it online, you will find the Well Aware eNews in your MCPS Outlook email at the beginning of each month.
First September Pay Day to be Sept. 4; Second Will Be a Week Later
One paycheck in September will come a week early for the convenience of nine- and 10-month employees.
The first payday in September—for those employees who report hours worked between August 8 and August 21—will be Friday, Sept. 4. The second payday in September will be accelerated to September 11 and will be for hours worked between August 22 and September 4. This also will be the first paycheck of the current academic year from which all deductions will be withheld. This accelerated pay schedule enables nine- and 10-month employees to receive a paycheck sooner.
All employees will be paid again on October 2, when pay dates will resume the regular biweekly schedule. Make sure to plan and budget accordingly in preparation for this return to the regular pay schedule.
Annual Salary Information Notices Sent
Every summer, MCPS sends permanent employees a Salary Information Notice with salary details for the upcoming year. This year, Salary Information Notices for the current fiscal year (July 1, 2015–June 30, 2016) were emailed to MCPS Outlook accounts on August 5. In addition, if you are a nine- or 10-month SEIU member, a paper copy of your Salary Information Notice was mailed to your home address.
Fiscal Year (FY) 2015–2017 budget and corresponding employee association agreements approved by the Board of Education include cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) for all employees and step increases for eligible employees. The first of these increases took effect November 29, 2014. The second will take effect on October 17, 2015.* Negotiated agreements can be found on the Association Relations web page.
The Salary Information Notice displays an employee’s salary as of July 30, 2015. Any changes to your position or salary processed after this date will result in a separate notification—a Personnel Action Notice (PAN). In rare cases, changes to your position that are effective July 1 are not processed until after July 25. This means that although your position may have changed as of July 1, your Salary Information Notice will not reflect the change. If you experience a discrepancy and have recently changed positions or full-time equivalent, please watch for a PAN in the coming weeks. If you are new employee who started after July 1, 2015, you will receive only a PAN this year. You will receive your first Salary Information Notice next year.
Remember: Outlook retains e-mails for 30 days, so be sure to check your inbox regularly.
For more information about your Salary Information Notice, including changes to annual hours for the 2015–2016 school year, see the salary schedules on the ERSC website.
If you have questions, contact the Employee and Retiree Service Center at 301-517-8100 or send an email here.
*As originally negotiated, a COLA and a step increase were to take effect on October 3, 2015. The date has since been changed to October 17, 2015, due to budget constraints.