African American Seniors Honored for Outstanding Achievement, Leadership
Twenty-eight graduating seniors were honored by the Montgomery County Alliance of Black School Educators (MCABSE) during an April 30 ceremony at Carver Educational Services Center in Rockville.
The annual MCABSE Distinguished Scholars and Community Leaders Awards Ceremony recognized African American high school students for their academic and community service achievements. Each student received a scholarship check, certificate of achievement, and a medal.
The 2019 honorees are:
- Sophia Saidi, Bethesda-Chevy Chase
- Tinsae Deresse, Montgomery Blair
- Kayla Malone, Montgomery Blair
- Joanne Sienche, James Hubert Blake
- Hannah Wodajo, Winston Churchill
- Sienna Williams, Clarksburg
- Alice Kukapa, Damascus
- Ben-oni Vainqueur, Thomas Edison/Wheaton
- Gabrielle Whitehurst, Albert Einstein
- Christine Dzikunu, Gaithersburg
- Haja Kumalah, John F. Kennedy
- Bijou Barry, Col. Zadok Magruder
- Denise Kyeremeh, Northwest
- Kuburat Oladiran, Northwood
- Tiruu Leyew, Paint Branch
- Racheal Ssentongo, Poolesville
- Nyla Jones, Quince Orchard
- Nadia Kuffar, RICA
- Zoe Berry, Richard Montgomery
- Ines Donfack, Rockville
- Brinda Engoue De Tchappi, Seneca Valley
- Fatima K. Koroma, Sherwood
- Naa’ oli Mamie, Springbrook
- Yonathan Mesfein, Walter Johnson
- Josephine Oshagbemi, Watkins Mill
- Andre Tulloch, Watkins Mill
- Kevin Awoufack, Wheaton
- Sydney C. Johnson, Walt Whitman
- Gelila Yimam, Thomas S. Wootton
Top scholars included:
Andre Tulloch from Watkins Mill High School was the recipient of the Dr. Judith Docca Community Leader Award.
Tinsae Deresse of Blair High School received the Wayne E. Whigham Community Leader Award.
Racheal Ssentongo of Poolesville High School was given the Dr. Frieda Lacey Distinguished Scholar Award.
Nyla Jones of Quince Orchard High School received the Drs. Handy and Floyd Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Award.
Sydney C. Johnson of Walt Whitman High School was given the Maisha O. Brown Scholarship Award.