BOE Discusses Draft Recovery of Education Plan
During the August 6 Board of Education meeting, MCPS leaders and staff presented the Draft Recovery of Education Plan. Board members provided their input and asked questions about the plan. There was no action to approve the plan; however the Board voted to approve a virtual-only reopening for the 2020-2021 school year, which begins on Monday, Aug. 31. MCPS will work with local and state leaders at the end of the first semester to reassess the decision and make recommendations for possible in-person instruction beginning in the second semester, if health conditions allow.
During the Board’s discussion, the following components of the plan were discussed:
- Engaging live and recorded instruction for all students
- Highlights of a sample instructional week that include:
- Daily class meetings and social-emotional learning
- Related and special services
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), special education
- Interventions/individual support
- Social studies/science
- Art, music, physical education
- Additional supports for students with special needs and students receiving ESOL services
- Opportunities for participation in a variety of extracurricular activities and athletics
- An overview of plans for grading and tracking attendance and student engagement
- Resources and training for staff, students and families on a wide range of topics
MCPS leadership and staff members will work on revisions based on Board and stakeholder feedback. Provide feedback here.
The Board will review and take final action on the components of the virtual-only plan on August 25 at its next business meeting.
View the PowerPoint presentation.
Review the Draft Recovery of Education Plan.