Changes to Elementary Schedule Coming Nov. 11
During the Oct. 27 Board of Education meeting, MCPS staff presented proposed changes to the elementary school schedule. These changes, which impact the Wednesday morning schedule for elementary students only, will take effect starting Nov. 11 (the start of the second marking period). These changes were made in response to feedback the district has received from staff and families on screen time, instructional blocks and teacher planning. The goal of this schedule revision is to reduce screen time, provide time for students to receive special education or related services, work on their own or in small groups, and complete assignments.
The changes are summarized below:
- The revisions to the elementary schedule only affect the Wednesday morning instructional block between 9-11:30 am. Wednesday afternoons are unchanged.
- All students will continue to log in each Wednesday at 9 a.m, and will meet with their teacher for a 30-minute class meeting.
- There will be two learning blocks on Wednesday mornings. Block #1 follows the class meeting and is from 9:30-10:15 a.m. During this time, students will work independently, with their teacher, or receive support or services.
- At 10:15 a.m., students will reconnect with the entire class and teacher for closure, and to get clarification on what they will be doing during Block #2.
- Block #2 is from 10:30-11:30 a.m. During the second block, students will engage in work that is either self-guided or will include support from paraeducators and related service providers.
- The lunch and wellness break will remain from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Wednesday morning blocks will no longer focus on instruction in Benchmark Literacy and Eureka Math. They will include opportunities for students to engage in related content support, review and enrichment.
- Schedules for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, as well as Wednesday afternoons, will remain unchanged.
Schools will communicate with families about the learning activities that students should complete during each block. Families will receive emails the week of November 9 with specifics of what to expect beginning on Wednesday, November 11.