Graduation Ceremonies Under Way
More than 11,000 MCPS students are expected to receive their diplomas during commencement ceremonies that began May 24 and continue through June 13. The ceremonies will include a wide array of commencement speakers, including TV and radio reporters, politicians, educators and others representing a variety of professions and interests.
MCPS is also inviting parents and students to share photos of graduation via email and on Twitter.
The first graduation ceremonies were May 24 for Wheaton, Paint Branch and Gaithersburg high schools. They continue today, May 29, for Thomas S. Wootton and Sherwood high schools.
Among those who will speak: National Geographic Partners Chairman Gary Knell, University of Maryland, College Park President Wallace Loh and U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen.
Other speakers include:
- Brian Isaac, United States Naval Academy alumnus and artistic director at the Alexandria Choral Society, will speak to graduates of Damascus High School
- Leon Harris, NBC4 news anchor, will speak to graduates at John F. Kennedy High School
- Hillary Howard, WTOP reporter and host of It’s Academic, will speak to Montgomery Blair graduates
- Koki Adasi, owner of Compass Realty, will speak to graduates of Col. Zadok Magruder High School
Several schools will feature teachers and students as speakers. Graduations for 16 MCPS high schools will be held at DAR Constitution Hall (DAR), in Washington, D.C. These ceremonies will be streamed live on the DAR Constitution Hall website. Ceremonies will also be held at the Xfinity Center, Mount St. Mary’s University, and at individual school or program locations.
Submit Graduation Photos
MCPS is inviting staff to submit their favorite graduation snapshots. Staff should select the best graduation photo and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Many of the pictures will be posted on the MCPS website. Staff also can submit photos via Twitter (using the hashtag #mcpsgrad). We will repost some of the photos on our social media pages.
To contribute a photo via email, follow these simple steps:
- Choose your best, horizontal snapshot.
- Send the photo as a jpeg file (no larger than 4 MB) and email it to email@example.com.
- Include the school name.
By submitting a photo, you are agreeing to its use for publication on the MCPS website. If you have questions, contact the Department of Public Information and Web Services at 240-740-2837 or send us an email.
Check out our Flickr gallery of photos.