Here’s the Latest on the Antiracist System Audit
The following message concerning next steps in the Antiracist System Audit was emailed to staff on Friday, Nov. 11.
The audit findings were presented to the Board of Education on Oct. 11 and on Oct. 26, a similar presentation was presented at the Superintendent’s Administrative and Supervisory meeting. Participants were given time on Oct. 26 to start unpacking the findings and recommendations. You can view the presentation here, divided into smaller parts.
After spending two years gathering information, it is going to take time for us to create a thoughtful, coherent and antiracist plan to address the audit findings. Past experiences have taught us that focused, deliberate planning, and actions lead to success. The Office of Strategic Initiatives will ensure that every Montgomery County Public Schools employee understands their role and has the time and support they need to succeed. Our timeline for the superintendent to present a comprehensive action plan is by March 2023. Included in the comprehensive action plan will be the following:
- Clear expectations for offices, schools and staff.
- Details on how offices, schools and staff are supported to meet expectations.
- Guidelines on how offices, schools and staff are held accountable.
Please review the Next Steps Document to understand short- and long-term action steps needed to develop a comprehensive action plan co-created with staff, students and families. We have organized a series of conversations with staff associations, student groups and community organizations to communicate our vision and prioritize the work. You can find the dates here.
As we work to develop the comprehensive action plan, offices, schools and individuals can prepare by:
- Office and Schools
- Continuing the antiracist and equity work your office or school has already implemented.
- Implement this facilitation plan to begin unpacking the districtwide findings with staff. For guidance, please reach out to your director or Equity Specialist.
- Educate yourself about the Antiracist Audit report or review the presentation.
- Attend an organized community conversation to provide input for the action plan.
- Read the Equity Unit’s EquityMatters newsletter to develop your own understanding and learning about race and equity.
Look for periodic updates on our progress. If you have any questions, email John Landesman, executive director, Office of Strategic Initiatives.
Dr. Patrick K. Murphy