MCPS Creating Family Engagement Advisory Team
Research shows that when parents/guardians are engaged with their children’s education—regardless of income or background—attendance, grades, social skills, behavior and graduation rates improve. MCPS is providing a new opportunity for families to learn about and offer input and feedback on school programs and initiatives.
The goal of the Family Engagement Advisory Team will be to improve students’ school experience and academic success, and ensure equitable learning opportunities by engaging families in decision-making and program review. The advisory team will allow MCPS to solicit input and feedback from parents and guardians; implement the National PTA “Four Is” framework for Transformative Family Engagement, ensuring that family connections are Inclusive, Individualized, Integrated and Impactful; and create uniform expectations and best practices for individual schools and districtwide decision-making.
Members will serve two-year terms. The group will:
- Provide input and feedback to MCPS Central Office staff, school staff and work groups on programs, activities, services resources and materials.
- Solicit feedback from other parents.
- Participate in efforts to promote welcoming environments in all schools.
- Assist staff with trainings to strengthen family advocacy skills.
- Develop a plan for collaborative learning opportunities for school administrators and teachers to equitably engage with all students and families.
Those who wish to serve on the Family Engagement Advisory Team are asked to submit an application by 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 13.
Members selected to serve will be notified by Friday, Jan. 10, 2020. For more information, call the Division of Student, Family and School Services at 240-740-4620.
Applications are available at each school; by calling the Division of Student, Family and School Services at 240-740-4620; or online.