Open Enrollment Coming Oct. 10
Open Enrollment for MCPS employee benefits will be held online this year from Monday, Oct. 10–Friday, Nov. 4, 2022, with changes effective Jan. 1, 2023. Open Enrollment is your opportunity to review health plan options and make any necessary changes.
What to Expect
- If you are a benefits-eligible employee, you will receive Open Enrollment information and instructions in your MCPS Outlook email account on Oct. 7. The email will include a link to the Employee Self-Service (ESS) web page for accessing the online Benefits Enrollment System (BES), the 2023 Employee Benefit Summary, the Open Enrollment memorandum and more.
- Enrolling in or making changes to your benefits and/or enrolling in a flexible spending account (FSA) for 2023 will be conducted online via the BES.
- You will be able to view and print confirmation of your benefit changes from the BES. You will receive confirmation in your MCPS Outlook email account.
- Details regarding Open Enrollment and 2023 MCPS employee benefits will be available on the Open Enrollment webpage beginning Friday, Oct. 7.
Benefits Plan Highlights
- Cigna will replace CareFirst as a benefit plan provider. Cigna will offer eligible employees the following plans:
- Open Access Plus (OAP) plan (replacing CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage POS)
- Open Access Plus In-Network (OAPIN) plan (replacing CareFirst BlueChoice HMO)
If you are currently enrolled in CareFirst, your enrollment for 2023 will automatically change to the corresponding plan option with Cigna unless you select another plan during Open Enrollment. If you wish to keep the same plan option under Cigna, you do not need to access the BES unless you are enrolling in a flexible spending account (FSA) for 2023 or are making other benefit changes.
- Kaiser Permanente will continue to provide its HMO plan and there will be no changes to dental, vision or prescription plans in 2023.
Be Prepared for Open Enrollment
Take these simple steps to make sure you are ready for this year’s Employee Benefits Open Enrollment.
- Make sure you can access your MCPS Outlook email account. Need help? Visit mySSPR or contact the Technical Help Desk.
- Check your MCPS employee Outlook email on Oct. 7, for Open Enrollment information and instructions from the Employee and Retiree Service Center (ERSC).
- Stay in touch with ERSC for Open Enrollment news by visiting us online.
Take the Wellness Initiative to Save Money on Health Insurance in 2023
If you are covered by an MCPS-provided medical insurance plan with CareFirst or Kaiser Permanente, remember to complete—
- a biometric health screening*
- Wellness Initiatives: Biometrics Credit Alternative 2023 Benefit Year training (course number 90899) on Professional Development Online (PDO) by Oct. 7, and
- your insurance provider’s online health risk assessment by Oct. 7.
CareFirst members who complete a biometric health screening and health risk assessment by Oct. 7, will receive credit for 2023 even though they no longer will be covered by CareFirst.
*CareFirst members who complete their screening with their primary care physician or at a Minute Clinic must have their physician or Minute Clinic practitioner complete and sign a CareFirst Health Screening Form or CVS Minute Clinic Health Screening form. Instructions are available on the Wellness Initiatives webpage.