Planning Workshops Set for MLK Week of Service
As part of the annual recognition of the MLK Week of Service Jan. 14-22, 2023, MCPS is hosting a free one-hour planning workshop for staff on Thursday, Dec. 8 and Tuesday, Dec. 13, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Zoom.
Schools are encouraged to participate in service projects and acts of kindness during the Week of Service. Suggestions include:
- Leading students through the Student Service Learning (SSL) districtwide “WE Have Gratitude–Say It Now” opportunity as a class or group, and/or
- Hosting a schoolwide or classwide service event; collaborating with the school’s Parent, Teacher, Student Association to host a service event; inviting a local non-profit organization to support a school service event or allowing a school club or organization to lead the effort.
Any staff member can host a service project for students during the Week of Service. Some secondary school-hosted service projects may be eligible to award SSL hours for students if the project follows the SSL guidelines for a state graduation requirement. For service projects completed during the school day or virtually/remotely, secondary school staff should complete and submit MCPS Form 560-59 to the SSL office for review and approval.
MLK Week of Service planning documents are available in this Google folder. Included are:
- Planning tool and timeline (including grant information).
- Sample school-hosted SSL opportunity resources and ideas.
- Directions for implementing the districtwide SSL opportunity.
- Materials and resources for the districtwide SSL opportunity.