What You Need To Know About Coronavirus
MCPS is committed to ensuring the health and safety of students and staff in our buildings. Please be sure to read the message below regarding how the district and county agencies are preparing for the coronavirus.
Dear MCPS Staff,
We are writing to provide you with an update about the coronavirus and the district’s efforts to ensure the health and safety of all students in our buildings. On February 25, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an update in which they stated that, despite the coronavirus being detected within the U.S., the virus is not spreading throughout the country. The CDC is reporting that the risk to the general American public remains low. Furthermore, the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has informed us that to date, no cases have been confirmed in Maryland or in the National Capital Region.
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is working closely with DHHS and other county agencies to monitor the situation and develop a coordinated and comprehensive public health plan to ensure we are prepared if cases arise in our community. MCPS will be prepared to implement public health recommendations as required. Updated information will be shared with the community and posted on this webpage as it becomes available.
As a best practice for overall health in cold and influenza season, the CDC recommends that individuals receive the influenza vaccination and engage in everyday, preventive measures to prevent the spread of germs and avoid illness, such as:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with individuals who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. The CDC recommends that individuals remain home for at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever or signs of a fever (i.e., chills, feeling warm, flushed appearance).
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately discard the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Take any anti-viral medication prescribed to you as instructed.
Additional information for the U.S. is available on the CDC website.
- CDC COVID-19 Webpage
- CDC Communication Print and Video Resources: (in English with some translated into Spanish and Chinese)
- CDC FAQ: (in English, Spanish and Chinese)
Montgomery County Public Schools