BOE Approves School Year Calendar that Allows for More Professional Days and Less Disruptions
The Montgomery County Public Schools Board of Education approved the 2023-2024 school year calendar at its Dec. 6 business meeting. Superintendent Dr. Monifa B. Mcknight presented her recommended calendar to the BOE with input from the community. The new calendar offers investments and increased focus on professional development for teachers while aiming to limit instructional disruptions.
- For Traditional Calendar schools: First day of school for students is Monday, August 28, 2023 and the last day is Thursday, June 13, 2024.
- For Innovative Calendar schools: First day of school for students is Monday, July 10, 2023 and the last day is Thursday, June 13, 2024.
- District-wide professional days include Monday, Oct. 9, 2023, Friday, Feb. 16, 2024 and Monday, April 22, 2024. April 22, 2024 aligns with Passover.
- In addition to the three districtwide days of professional learning, a new designated “professional development and instruction” day will allow staff to participate in learning while students continue to participate in school or other enrichment opportunities. These dates will be Nov. 10, 2023, Feb. 15, 2024 and May 15, 2024. Detailed information will be provided to the community later in the school year.
- There will be five scheduled early release days, three less than the current school year. Half days include: Sept. 22, 2023, Nov. 20-21, 2023 (designated for student conferences), March 1, 2024, and June 13, 2024.
- Extending winter break by one day – beginning Saturday, Dec. 23, 2023 and ending Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024.
- Spring break begins on Saturday, March 23, 2024 and ends Monday, April 1, 2024.
The calendar maintains 182 days of instruction, including 6 built in contingency days within the school year. These dates are in addition to holiday closures required by state law, which are noted on the calendars linked here: